- •Supraventricular arrhythmias are common in COVID-19 patients, especially in critically ill.
- •Arrhythmias occur after direct viral damage, but also due to systemic involvement.
- •Atrial fibrillation represents the most common supraventricular arrhythmias and it is independently associated with in-hospital mortality.
- •Supraventricular arrhythmias will be safely treated, minimizing exposure and paying attention to general clinical conditions.
- Vetta F.
- Della Rocca D.G.
- Magnocavallo M.
- Lavalle C.
- et al.
Mechanisms of arrhythmogenesis in COVID-19
- Lazzerini P.E.
- Laghi-Pasini F.
- Acampa M.
- et al.
Electrolyte Imbalance and Fluid Overload
Supraventricular tachycardia prevalence and outcome
- Coromilas E.J.
- Kochav S.
- Goldenthal I.
- et al.
Management of supraventricular arrhythmias
- Saenz L.C.
- Miranda A.
- Speranza R.
- et al.
- Saenz L.C.
- Miranda A.
- Speranza R.
- et al.
|Rate Control Drugs||Remdesivir||Hydroxychloroquine||Azithromycin|
|Nondihydropyridine calcium channel blockers|
|Rhythm control drugs|
|Dronedarone||No data available||↑↑↑||↑↑↑|
- Della Rocca D.G.
- Di Biase L.
- Mohanty S.
- et al.
Follow-up in COVID-19 Patients Suffering from Arrhythmias
Clinics care points
- •Arrhythmogenesis is correlated to several pathophysiological mechanisms: hypoxia, myocardial ischemia, inflammation, electrolyte and fluid imbalance.
- •Rate Control should be preferred in critically ill COVID-19 patients.- Atrial fibrillation is an indipendent predictor of mortality.
- •COVID-19 patients who experienced atrial fibrillation should be monitored to evaluate the burden of arrhythmia.
- Defining the epidemiology of covid-19 — studies needed.N Engl J Med. 2020; 382: 1194-1196
- WHO international health regulations emergency committee for the COVID-19 outbreak.Epidemiol Health. 2020; 42: e2020013
- Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) and cardiovascular disease: a Vicious circle.J Cardiol Cardiovasc Res. 2020; https://doi.org/10.37191/Mapsci-JCCR-1(1)-010
- Association of cardiac injury with mortality in hospitalized patients with COVID-19 in Wuhan, China.JAMA Cardiol. 2020; 5: 802
- Evidence of systemic endothelial injury and Microthrombosis in hospitalized COVID-19 patients at different Stages of the disease.J Thromb Thrombolysis. 2020; https://doi.org/10.1007/s11239-020-02330-1
- Prevalence and Impact of myocardial injury in patients hospitalized with COVID-19 infection.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2020; 76: 533-546
- Prevalence of venous thromboembolism in patients with severe novel coronavirus pneumonia.J Thromb Haemost. 2020; 18: 1421-1424
- Cardiovascular considerations for patients, health care workers, and health systems during the COVID-19 pandemic.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2020; 75: 2352-2371
- Clinical characteristics of 138 hospitalized patients with 2019 novel coronavirus–infected pneumonia in Wuhan, China.JAMA. 2020; 323: 1061
- Cardiovascular risks in patients with COVID-19: potential mechanisms and areas of uncertainty.Curr Cardiol Rep. 2020; 22: 34
- Arrhythmias and COVID-19.JACC: Clin Electrophysiol. 2020; 6: 1193-1204
- COVID-19 and cardiac arrhythmias.Heart Rhythm. 2020; 17: 1439-1444
- Cardiac electrophysiology consultative experience at the epicenter of the COVID-19 pandemic in the United States.Indian Pacing Electrophysiol J. 2020; 20: 250-256
- Outcomes and mortality associated with atrial arrhythmias among patients hospitalized with COVID-19.J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol. 2020; 31: 3077-3085
- Coronaviruses and the cardiovascular system: acute and long-term Implications.Eur Heart J. 2020; 41: 1798-1800
- COVID-19, arrhythmic risk, and inflammation: mind the gap.Circulation. 2020; 142: 7-9
- Coronary artery disease and ventricular Tachyarrhythmia: pathophysiology and treatment.Curr Opin Pharmacol. 2013; 13: 210-217
- Coronavirus Fulminant myocarditis treated with glucocorticoid and human Immunoglobulin.Eur Heart J. 2021; 42: 206
- Calcium in the pathophysiology of atrial fibrillation and heart failure.Front Physiol. 2018; 9: 1380
- Association of cardiac infection with SARS-CoV-2 in confirmed COVID-19 autopsy cases.JAMA Cardiol. 2020; 5: 1281
- Recognizing COVID-19–related myocarditis: the possible pathophysiology and proposed guideline for diagnosis and management.Heart Rhythm. 2020; 17: 1463-1471
- Cryo-EM structure of the 2019-NCoV spike in the prefusion conformation.Science. 2020; 367: 1260-1263
- COVID-19, ACE2, and the cardiovascular consequences.Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2020; 318: H1084-H1090
- SARS-coronavirus Modulation of myocardial ACE2 expression and inflammation in patients with SARS.Eur J Clin Invest. 2009; 39: 618-625
- What is the arrhythmic Substrate in viral myocarditis? Insights from clinical and animal studies.Front Physiol. 2016; 7: 308
- Endothelial cell dysfunction: a major player in SARS-CoV-2 infection (COVID-19)?.Eur Respir J. 2020; 56: 2001634
- Systemic infections cause exaggerated local inflammation in atherosclerotic coronary arteries: clues to the triggering effect of acute infections on acute coronary syndromes.Tex Heart Inst J. 2007; 34: 11-18
- Endothelium as a predictor of adverse outcomes: endothelium as a predictor of adverse outcomes.Clin Cardiol. 2010; 33: 730-732
- Acute infection and myocardial Infarction.N Engl J Med. 2019; 380: 171-176
- Some Thoughts on the continuing dilemma of angina pectoris.Eur Heart J. 2014; 35: 1361-1364
- Evolving Functions of endothelial cells in inflammation.Nat Rev Immunol. 2007; 7: 803-815
- Endothelial cell infection and endotheliitis in COVID-19.Lancet. 2020; 395: 1417-1418
- Clinical features of patients infected with 2019 novel coronavirus in Wuhan, China.Lancet. 2020; 395: 497-506
- Tumor Necrosis factor-α alters calcium handling and increases arrhythmogenesis of pulmonary vein cardiomyocytes.Life Sci. 2007; 80: 1806-1815
- Increased atrial arrhythmia Susceptibility induced by Intense endurance exercise in Mice requires TNFα.Nat Commun. 2015; 6: 6018
- Thromboembolic risk in atrial fibrillation patients with left atrial scar post-extensive ablation.JACC: Clin Electrophysiol. 2021; 7: 308-318
- Systemic inflammation Rapidly induces Reversible atrial electrical remodeling: the role of interleukin-6–mediated changes in connexin expression.JAHA. 2019; 8https://doi.org/10.1161/JAHA.118.011006
- Association of Fragmented QRS with left atrial Scarring in patients with persistent atrial fibrillation undergoing Radiofrequency catheter ablation.Heart Rhythm. 2020; 17: 203-210
- Towards understanding the phenotypes of myocardial involvement in the presence of Self-limiting and Sustained systemic inflammation: a Magnetic Resonance Imaging study.Rheumatology. 2010; 49: 528-535
- Electrolyte disorders and arrhythmogenesis.Cardiol J. 2011; 18: 233-245
- Assessment of hypokalemia and clinical characteristics in patients with coronavirus disease 2019 in Wenzhou, China.JAMA Netw Open. 2020; 3: e2011122
- Human Kidney is a Target for novel severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 infection.Nat Commun. 2021; 12: 2506
- Serum potassium levels and the risk of atrial fibrillation.Int J Cardiol. 2013; 168: 5411-5415
- Management of arrhythmias associated with COVID-19.Curr Cardiol Rep. 2021; 23: 2
- Simple electrocardiographic criteria for Rapid Identification of Wide QRS complex Tachycardia: the new limb lead algorithm.Heart Rhythm. 2020; 17: 431-438
- Worldwide survey of COVID-19–associated arrhythmias.Circ Arrhythmia Electrophysiol. 2021; : 14https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCEP.120.009458
- Clinical characteristics of covid-19 in New York city.N Engl J Med. 2020; 382: 2372-2374
- Arrhythmias and electrocardiographic findings in coronavirus disease 2019: a Systematic review and meta-analysis.Pacing Clin Electrophysiol. 2021; 44: 1062-1074
- Cardiac arrhythmias in patients hospitalized with COVID-19: the ACOVID study.Heart Rhythm O2. 2021; 2: 304-308
- ESC Guidance for the Diagnosis and Management of CV Disease during the COVID-19 Pandemic.(Available at:)
- Recommendations for the organization of electrophysiology and cardiac pacing Services during the COVID-19 pandemic: Latin American heart rhythm Society (LAHRS) in collaboration with: Colombian college of electrophysiology, argentinian Society of cardiac electrophysiology (SADEC), Brazilian Society of cardiac arrhythmias (SOBRAC), Mexican Society of cardiac electrophysiology (SOMEEC).J Interv Card Electrophysiol. 2020; 59: 307-313
- A practical guide for clinicians who treat patients with amiodarone: 2007.Heart Rhythm. 2007; 4: 1250-1259
- Effect of Triple combination therapy with lopinavir-ritonavir, azithromycin, and hydroxychloroquine on QT Interval and arrhythmic risk in hospitalized COVID-19 patients.Front Pharmacol. 2020; 11: 582348
- Flecainide in ventricular arrhythmias: from old Myths to new perspectives.JCM. 2021; 10: 3696
- Management of cardiovascular disease during coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic.Trends Cardiovasc Med. 2020; 30: 315-325
- Hydroxychloroquine reduces heart rate by Modulating the hyperpolarization-activated current if: novel electrophysiological Insights and therapeutic potential.Heart Rhythm. 2015; 12: 2186-2194
- 2020 ESC guidelines for the diagnosis and management of atrial fibrillation developed in collaboration with the European association for cardio-Thoracic Surgery (EACTS).Eur Heart J. 2021; 42: 373-498
- Lopinavir-Ritonavir in SARS-CoV-2 infection and drug-drug interactions with cardioactive medications.Cardiovasc Drugs Ther. 2021; 35: 427-440
- Direct oral anticoagulant plasma levels’ Striking increase in severe COVID-19 respiratory syndrome patients treated with antiviral agents: the cremona experience.J Thromb Haemost. 2020; 18: 1320-1323
- COVID-19 associated atrial fibrillation: Incidence, putative mechanisms and potential clinical Implications.IJC Heart & Vasculature. 2020; 30: 100631
- Adverse drug Reactions during Real-life use of direct oral anticoagulants in Italy: an update Based on data from the Italian national pharmacovigilance network.Cardiorenal Med. 2020; 10: 266-276
- Evidence-based management of anticoagulant therapy: antithrombotic therapy and prevention of thrombosis, 9th ed: American college of chest physicians evidence-Based clinical practice guidelines.Chest. 2012; 141: e152S-e184S
- Elucidating the interactions between heparin/heparan Sulfate and SARS-CoV-2-related proteins—an important strategy for developing novel therapeutics for the COVID-19 pandemic.Front Mol Biosci. 2021; 7: 628551
- COVID-19 safety: aerosol-generating procedures and cardiothoracic Surgery and anaesthesia - Australian and New Zealand consensus Statement.Med J Aust. 2021; 214: 40-44
- Impact of dense “Smoke” detected on Transesophageal echocardiography on stroke risk in patients with atrial fibrillation undergoing catheter ablation.Heart Rhythm. 2019; 16: 351-357
- Roles of Transesophageal echocardiography and cardiac computed tomography for evaluation of left atrial thrombus and associated pathology: a review and critical analysis.JACC Cardiovasc Imaging. 2018; 11: 616-627
- 2017 HRS/EHRA/ECAS/APHRS/SOLAECE expert consensus Statement on catheter and Surgical ablation of atrial fibrillation.Europace. 2018; 20: e1-e160
- Novel perspectives on arrhythmia-Induced cardiomyopathy: pathophysiology, clinical manifestations and an update on invasive management Strategies.Cardiol Rev. 2015; 23: 135-141
- Long-term outcomes of catheter ablation in patients with longstanding persistent atrial fibrillation lasting less than 2 Years.J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol. 2018; 29: 1607-1615
- Targeting non-pulmonary vein triggers in persistent atrial fibrillation: results from a prospective, Multicentre, observational Registry.EP Europace. 2021; (euab161)https://doi.org/10.1093/europace/euab161
- Non-pulmonary vein triggers in nonparoxysmal atrial fibrillation: Implications of pathophysiology for catheter ablation.J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol. 2020; 31: 2154-2167
- Creating a safe workplace by universal testing of SARS-CoV-2 infection in asymptomatic patients and healthcare workers in the electrophysiology units: a Multi-center experience.J Interv Card Electrophysiol. 2020; https://doi.org/10.1007/s10840-020-00886-9
- Impact of continuous Intracardiac ST-Segment monitoring on Mid-term outcomes of ICD-Implanted patients with coronary artery disease. Early results of a prospective comparison with conventional ICD outcomes.Heart. 2012; 98: 402-407
- Feasibility of automated detection of Sleep apnea using Implantable pacemakers and defibrillators: a comparison with Simultaneous polysomnography Recording.J Interv Card Electrophysiol. 2019; 56: 327-333
- Management of cardiac Implantable electronic device follow-up in COVID-19 pandemic: lessons learned during Italian lockdown.J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol. 2020; 31: 2814-2823
- Home delivery of the communicator for remote monitoring of cardiac Implantable devices: a Multicenter experience during the covid-19 lockdown.Pacing Clin Electrophysiol. 2021; 44: 995-1003
- The European TeleCheck-AF project on remote app-Based management of atrial fibrillation during the COVID-19 pandemic: centre and patient experiences.Europace. 2021; 23: 1003-1015
- Accuracy of a Smartwatch-derived ECG for diagnosing Bradyarrhythmias, Tachyarrhythmias, and cardiac ischemia.Circ Arrhythmia Electrophysiol. 2021; 14
M. Magnocavallo and G. Vetta equally contributed to the article.